I. Replacing the Thermostat
On rare occasions, in high-mileage Camrys, the cooling system's thermostat may fail. A thermostat may lock up in either the open or closed position resulting in overcooling or overheating.
You are watching: 2001 toyota camry coolant temperature sensor
In one situation when a thermostat failed, the client complained the he was gaining heat in the cabin. He said the temperature gauge top top the dashboard would climb to the normal operating selection during warmup, climate rapidly relocate down come the cold range. I concluded this particular break down was because of a defective thermostat that would stick in the totally open place after reaching normal operating temperatures (around 190 degrees Fahrenheit). The just material cost of repairing this trouble was $5 because that a brand-new thermostat and also $8 because that a gallon of new pre-mixed coolant. The customer had actually previously to be quoted a sizable fix estimate, including flushing the cooling system and installing a brand-new heater main point with new hoses.
Thermostat instead of Procedure
Diagram: Camry thermostat, gasket, and housing
1. First, make sure the engine is cool.
Then relieve any residual press in the cooling mechanism by remove the radiator cap. Remove the lower radiator water tap from the thermostat housing. This step might not be important if you feel you have the right to remove the thermostat housing from the water pump by bending the hose.
2. Use penetrating oil top top the threads of the thermostat housing.
3. Usage a 10 mm socket attached to a expansion to remove the height nut native the housing stud.Use no extension for the lower nut. A 10 mm crate wrench have the right to be used on the height nut, yet there is very little twisting room because that the reduced nut unless the oil filter is removed.
4. Eliminate the thermostat housing with a strong tugging or pulling motion.
Approximately 1/2 gallon that coolant will leak out once the housing is removed. The thermostat will most most likely be stuck within the housing.
5. Eliminate the old thermostat through the attached rubber O-ring.Transfer the O-ring to the brand-new thermostat or use a brand-new O-ring if friend want.
6. Turning back the above steps because that installation, refill the radiator with new fluid, begin engine until warmed up and also recheck fluid levels after ~ cool down.Allowing the engine come idle because that 1/2 hour with the radiator lid off can assist remove waiting pockets.
New Camry water temperature sensor
2. Replacing the Temperature Sensor
If the vehicle continues come overheat also after installation a brand-new thermostat, the problem might be resulted in by one of two people a defective temperature sensor or a defective fan motor. Replacement of the water temperature sensor might be in order. This sensor is situated on the bottom of the radiator opposite the coolant drainpipe port. It functions in conjunction with your car's ECU (Electronic manage Unit) to readjust the air/fuel mixture based upon the coolant temperature. If the sensor is not sending out the correct electric signal, the ECU will certainly misinterpret the signal by making the air/fuel mixture as well rich or too lean. Many commonly, a breakdown of this sensor outcomes in over-enriching the air/fuel mixture, causing the engine come stall at web traffic stops. And an engine will certainly run cooler v an enriched air/fuel mixture.
Temperature Sensor instead of Procedure
This sensor has actually an O-ring, for this reason ask for the O-ring once you purchase a brand-new sensor.
The easiest method of obtaining to and also replacing the temperature sensor is by removing the passenger-side pan shroud assembly.
1. Disconnect the pan motor electric connector.
Detached pan motor socket
2. Remove the two 10 mm shroud bolts that secure the shroud come the radiator.
3. Lift the end the shroud native the reduced radiator shroud sockets. The fan motor have the right to be tested by using 12 volts to the engine connector leads.
4. The temperature sensor is currently exposed. Detach the electric connector.
5. Usage an open-end or crate wrench to spin turn off the sensor. When the sensor is removed, coolant will start leaking out. To keep all the coolant indigenous draining out, easily screw in the brand-new sensor through hand. Don't forget the O-ring attached come the sensor.
6. Turning back the above steps for re-assembly, and also replenish the leaked-out coolant. Ns recommend using just genuine Toyota coolant.
This post is accurate and true come the finest of the author’s knowledge. Contents is for informational or entertainment objectives only and also does not substitute for personal counsel or experienced advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Questions & Answers
Question: Is instead of a thermostat a large job?
Answer: it is very simple. There's only two 10 mm nuts that host the thermostat real estate (which has the thermostat). Those nuts are basic to remove if you remove the oil filter first.
Question: Is replacing the thermostat a big job?
Answer: there are only two 10 mm nuts that organize the thermostat real estate (which includes the thermostat). Those nuts are straightforward to eliminate if you eliminate the oil filter first.
Question: If I remove the oil filter, doesn't the oil pour out?
Answer: commonly yes uneven you wait approximately a hour to let the oil in the filter drain out right into the oil pan.
Del on October 22, 2017:
I have a 2000 corolla ce. Both pan on when supplied power. Replaced sensor through thermostat, changed fan switch in fuse box, still same problem. Any thoughts. It operation fine, no dash lights etc... Just needs to be fixed. Thanks
Tosin top top January 22, 2017:
I have a 1997 version Camry, of a recent a experience hard start (long start, about three rolling) before it will answer me. What could be the cause?
hardlymoving (author) indigenous Memphis, TN top top January 16, 2017:
Start by replacing the thermostat.
KK top top January 15, 2017:
I have 1999 Toyota Camry LE 2.2 L, once I drive its temperature sensor gauge in car shows at C or close come C. Automobile heats up and also show in ~ 1/6 of range on needle above C in ~ idle after journey (gauge moves). What must be course of action? Is that ok to drive?
Jei ~ above December 26, 2016:
I have actually a 2001 Camry in Cancun Mexico whereby is never ever cold, can I operation this auto with out a thermostat, the one just went & by the moment a walk there v the component maybe an additional month and the regional mechanic claimed that we might just eliminate it and also it would certainly be fine, is that true??
hardlymoving (author) indigenous Memphis, TN on November 14, 2016:
Could it is in a number of things to plenty of to mention based upon your declared symptoms.
Govin top top November 14, 2016:
i have actually 1999 camry. It is stalling at prevent lights, hesitating to advice in the morning as soon as i first time, and sometimes NOT starting and just cranking. Will certainly it be because of faulty temp sensor or T-stat?
armen bagdasarian on October 17, 2016:
could not get 98 camer v6 to provide me a "ready" for evap or cat. Drove the heck out the it, started shotgun approach, noticed temp gauge mid scale and alternately cold. Lengthy story short, pulled thermostat, shiny clues on inner tube which dwellings paraffin. Rock secure temp, mid range maybe difficulty solved.
See more: Engine Maintenance: How Long Does It Take To Change A Timing Belt & Water Pump?
Rusty ~ above July 01, 2016:
Hello. I have a 2004 Toyota Camry. As soon as the vehicle heats up the temperature gauge goes over the typical operating temperate (about 3/4 way up come H) climate stops. The fans carry out not kick on. It never ever makes it every the way to the H. If I turn the AC top top the pan run. The heat and also AC both work fine. Any suggestions?
hardlymoving (author) indigenous Memphis, TN on June 22, 2016:
A broke down hose shows a broken/defective radiator cap.
Dustin on June 21, 2016:
Hi, I've had a lot of troubles with d hoses and such.. Simply replaced timing belt water pump thermostat radiator and also other such hoses and also other things involved with the cooling system.. My top hose is collapsing in in chin (brand new) I require to find a water tap that will stand up and also stand out quite than crumble and to effectively burp the system of any kind of air... And I don't have a no spill funnel to aid w the job.. Any advice or assist would be greatly appreciated. 99 Camry ce 2.2 160,000 miles