How to adjust the Engine Oil in a 4.6L or 5.4L F-150
Oil transforms are forced at specific intervals come ensure the longevity of her engine. Extending oil adjust intervals or neglecting to have your engine oil adjusted will ultimately an outcome in premature birth engine failure. If friend have minimal mechanical experience, it is recommended you find out from watching a seasoned mechanic carry out the task, as basic as it might seem. Do an oil change per the manufacturer recommended intervals, which can be uncovered in your owner"s manual. (3,000 miles/6 months or 5,000 miles/8 months is common, yet it relies on the vehicle). High usage vehicles may benefit from much more frequent oil changes.
You are watching: 2003 ford f150 5.4 oil capacity
Applicable version Years: 1997 - 2010 Ford F-150 (4.6L and also 5.4L engines) Engine Oil Filter part Number*: Motorcraft FL820S (Motorcraft FL400S for certain 4.6L Windsor engines, see footnote) 4.6L Engine Oil Capacity: 6 qts w/ filter (U.S. Quarts) 5.4L Engine Oil Capacity: 6 qts w/ filter 1997 - 2003 model years, 7 qts w/ filter 2004 - 2010 design years (U.S. Quarts) 1997 - 1999 Engine Oil Viscosity: SAE 5W-30 (full synthetic) 2000 - 2010 Engine Oil Viscosity: SAE 5W-20 (full synthetic) *Certain model year 4.6L engines supplied oil filter p/n FL400S; inspect filter component number or describe owners manual. FL820S and also FL400S filters room NOT interchangeable.
• The correct oil viscosity is listed on the oil to fill tube. If it is eligible or missing, refer to the viscosity specs above. Girlfriend will need 6 quarts that oil for every 4.6L engines and 1997 to 2003 version year 5.4L engines. 2004 come 2010 model year 5.4L engines call for 7 quarts that engine oil. Constantly refer to her owners manual to verify oil specifications for her vehicle.
• find the oil fill cap in the engine just on the passenger side valve cover. Ease the oil fill cap but do not remove (sometimes this helps the oil drainpipe quicker).
• position an oil drain container in ~ the drainpipe plug on the engine oil pan. If her oil drainpipe plug is situated on the next of the oil pan, girlfriend will have to position it so the the oil soil in the container and not the ground (it will have actually a propensity to shoot out rather than drain straight down).
• eliminate the drain plug making use of a boxed end wrench or socket - do not attempt to eliminate the drain plug through an open end wrench as it will strip easily.
• due to the fact that motor oil is a hazardous material, that is recommended the you stay latex/oil resistant gloves.
• when the oil is draining, clean the oil drainpipe plug with a lint free rag. Do not usage solvents.
• when the used oil has actually drained completely, reinstall the drain plug. Hand tighten the plug as much as possible to eliminate cross threading. If the oil pan threads room stripped, the whole oil pan will should be gotten rid of in order to change or fix it properly. Once hand tightened, finishing tightening the drain plug v a wrench/socket. Certain the plug is snugged down - carry out no overtighten.
• Reposition the oil container under the oil filter or ideal filter drainpipe channel if equipped. Many 4.6L/5.4L fitted trucks have actually an oil filter drain slide located over the center of the prior axle.
• eliminate the oil filter by unscrewing it from the engine block. Top top 4.6L/5.4L engines, the filter is situated on the driver side of the engine block and is best accessed by crawling under the vehicle and also reaching upwards. It may seem challenging to access, yet after a few oil changes you will gain the hang of it. One oil filter wrench may be offered to help you however, if the filter was mounted correctly, it should come turn off by hand. Properly dispose that the oil filter. A plastic zip loc style bag is normally welcomed for recycling purposes. If the is tight and also you room unable to access it v an oil filter wrench, try wrapped a piece of sandpaper (we usage emery cloth) roughly the filter. You can generally grip the sandpaper better than the canister itself, especially if the is oily.
• Clean the oil filter mounting surface ar with a clean, lint cost-free rag, ensuring that the old filter gasket is not stuck to the mounting surface. Do not use solvents. Be certain the surface is clean before continuing.
• Prepare your new replacement oil filter by using a small amount of fresh motor oil to the oil filter gasket (the rubber o-ring placed to the surface of the new filter). Making use of your finger, obstacle the oil roughly the gasket until it is completely lubricated (this is an important to gaining a good seal).
• If you would certainly like, you might fill the new filter through 1 quart of new motor oil. This action is not required, though part speculate it avoids dry beginning after an altering the motor oil. That is an overwhelming to install a fill oil filter when it is mounted horizontally ~ above the engine block there is no spilling. We favor to, in ~ minimal, "wet" the filter by filling it through ~1/2 a quart of fresh oil.
• through the gasket appropriately lubricated, install the new oil filter in the same fashion you eliminated it. Perform not usage an oil filter wrench come tighten the filter. Snug the filter so the it seats tightly against the mounting surface. There is no should overtighten the filter, merely tighten it as lot as feasible by hand. Friend should be able to remove the filter by hand in ~ your next oil readjust if that was mounted properly (some toughness required).
• through the oil drain plug and new oil filter installed, it is time to add your brand-new engine oil. Eliminate the oil to fill cap and stick a clean, oil safe funnel right into the to fill neck. Slowly negative in the compelled amount of new engine oil.
• after ~ you have actually filled the engine through oil, reinstall the oil fill cap.
• traction the dipstick and verify the engine oil level. If the oil level is low, double check that you provided the exactly amount.
See more: 97 Buick Lesabre Security System Reset, Buick Lesabre Won'T Start & Anti
• check for leaks around the oil filter drain plug, then start the truck. The oil pressure gauge need to travel to regular within 5 come 10 seconds, otherwise something was done incorrectly and also there is a problem. Usage a flashlight to inspect for leaks roughly the oil filter.
historicsweetsballroom.com is no affiliated through nor endorsed through Ford Motor firm or any manufacturer mentioned herein, unless explicitly detailed otherwise.