1) If a horticulturist reproduction gardenias succeeds in having actually a solitary plant v a an especially desirable collection of traits, i m sorry of the following would it is in her many probable and also efficient course to establishing a line of such plants? A) Backtrack with her previous experiments to obtain an additional plant through the same traits.
You are watching: At which stage of mitosis are chromosomes usually photographed in the preparation of a karyotype
B) each other this tree with an additional plant with lot weaker traits
C) Clone the plant. D) force the plant to self-pollinate to acquire an the same one.
2) which of the following defines a genome? A) the complete set of an organism"s polypeptides B) the complete set of a species" polypeptides C) a karyotype D) the complete set of an organism"s genes and also other DNA sequences
3) Asexual reproduction occurs during _____. A) meiosis B) mitosis C) fertilization
D) chromosome exchange between organisms of various species
4) Quaking aspen have the right to send the end underground stems for asexual reproduction. Sex-related reproduction is no as common, but when the does happen, the haploid gametes have 19 chromosomes. How many chromosomes space in the cell of the secret stems? A) 9
B) 10 C) 19 D) 38
5) i beg your pardon of the adhering to is a true statement about sexual vs. Asexual reproduction? A) Asexual reproduction, yet not sex-related reproduction, is characteristic of plants and also fungi.
B) In sex-related reproduction, individuals transmit half of their nuclear gene to each of your offspring. C) In asexual reproduction, offspring are created by fertilization without meiosis. D) Asexual reproduction produces just haploid offspring
6) at which stage of mitosis space chromosomes usually photographed in the preparation of a karyotype? A) prophase B) metaphase
C) anaphase D) interphase
7) i beg your pardon of the following is true the a species that has a chromosome variety of 2n = 16?
A) The types is diploid with 32 chromosomes per cell. B) The species has 16 sets of chromosomes every cell. C) every diploid cell has eight homologous pairs.
D) A gamete indigenous this varieties has four chromosomes.
8) Eukaryotic sex-related life cycles present tremendous variation. That the complying with elements, which carry out all sex-related life cycles have in common? I. Alternation of generations II. Meiosis
III. Fertilization IV. Gametes V. Spores A) I, II, and also IV B) II, III, and IV C) II, IV, and V D) I, II, III, IV, and also V
9) In a plant"s sexual life cycle _____. A) sporophytes create gametes through meiosis B) gametophytes develop gametes through mitosis C) gametophytes produce gametes through meiosis D) sporophytes create gametes through mitosis
10) which of the following is an example of alternation the generations? A) A grandparent and grandchild each have actually dark hair, yet the parent has blond hair. B) A diploid tree (sporophyte) produces, through meiosis, a spore that offers rise come a multicellular, haploid pollen serial (gametophyte). C) A diploid pet produces gametes by meiosis, and the gametes experience fertilization to develop a diploid zygote. D) A haploid mushroom to produce gametes by mitosis, and also the gametes experience fertilization, i m sorry is instantly followed through meiosis.
11) A offered organism has actually 46 chromosomes in the karyotype. Therefore, we deserve to conclude that it should _____. A) be person B) it is in an animal
C) give birth sexually D) have actually gametes with 23 chromosomes
12) A triploid cell consists of sets of three homologous chromosomes. If a cabinet of a typically diploid species with 42 chromosomes per cell is triploid, this cell would certainly be expected to have which of the following?
A) 63 chromosomes in 31.5 pairs
B) 63 chromosomes in 21 sets of 3 C) 63 chromosomes, each with three chromatids D) 21 chromosome pairs and 21 unique chromosomes
13) i m sorry of the adhering to might result in a human zygote with 45 chromosomes? A) one error in either egg or sperm meiotic anaphase B) failure of the egg cell core to it is in fertilized by the sperm C) fail of an egg to finish meiosis II
D) incomplete cytokinesis during spermatogenesis ~ meiosis I
14) In a person karyotype, chromosomes are arranged in 23 pairs. If we pick one of these pairs, such together pair 14, i m sorry of the complying with do the two chromosomes the the pair have actually in common? A) length and also position the the centromere only
B) length, centromere position, and staining pattern just C) length, centromere position, staining pattern, and also traits coded for by their genes D) They have nothing in typical except the they are X-shaped.
18) In a life cycle such together that displayed in part III that the figure above, if the zygote"s chromosome number is 10, i beg your pardon of the following will be true? A) The sporophyte"s chromosome number per cell is 10 and also the gametophyte"s is 5. B) The sporophyte"s chromosome number every cell is 5 and also the gametophyte"s is 10.
C) The sporophyte and also gametophyte each have 10 chromosomes every cell.
D) The sporophyte and also gametophyte each have 5 chromosomes every cell.
19) Homologous chromosomes _____.
A) room identical
B) lug information for the very same traits
C) lug the very same alleles
D) align ~ above the metaphase plate in meiosis II
20) If meiosis produce haploid cells, just how is the diploid number revived for those organisms the spend most of your life bike in the diploid state? A) DNA replication B) turning back transcription
C) synapsis D) fertilization
21) The human X and also Y chromosomes _____. A) are both current in every somatic cell of males and females
B) room the very same size and have the same number of genes C) include genes that determine an individual"s sex D) are referred to as autosomes
22) i beg your pardon of this is a karyotype? A) a screen of all of the cell species in an organism
B) organized images of a cell chromosomes C) the appearance of an biology D) a display screen of a cell’s mitotic stages
23) If a cell has actually completed meiosis I and is just start meiosis II, i m sorry of the complying with is an proper description of its contents? A) it has fifty percent the lot of DNA together the cabinet that began meiosis. B) it has fifty percent the chromosomes yet twice the DNA of the originating cell.
C) It has actually one-fourth the DNA and one-half the chromosomes as the originating cell.
D) the is similar in content to another cell formed from the exact same meiosis ns event.
24) The somatic cell of a privet shrub each contain 46 chromosomes. How do privet chromosomes different from the chromosomes of human beings ,who additionally have 46? A) Privet cell cannot give birth sexually. B) Privet sex cells have chromosomes that can synapse with human being chromosomes in the laboratory.
C) gene of privet chromosomes are substantially different than those in humans.
D) Privet shrubs should be metabolically an ext like pets than like various other shrubs.
25) after ~ telophase i of meiosis, the chromosomal makeup of every daughter cell is _____.
A) diploid, and also the chromosomes space each written of a single chromatid B) diploid, and the chromosomes space each created of 2 chromatids C) haploid, and the chromosomes space each composed of a solitary chromatid
D) haploid, and also the chromosomes space each written of 2 chromatids
26) exactly how do cell at the completion of meiosis compare v cells that are in prophase the meiosis I? They have _____. A) fifty percent the variety of chromosomes and half the amount of DNA. B) the same number of chromosomes and half the quantity of DNA.
C) half the number of chromosomes and also one-fourth the lot of DNA.
D) half the lot of cytoplasm and also twice the quantity of DNA.
27) i beg your pardon of the following happens at the conclusion of meiosis I?
A) Homologous chromosomes that a pair room separated from each other.
B) The chromosome number per cell remains the same. C) sisters chromatids are separated. D) four daughter cells are formed.
28) sister chromatids separate from each other throughout _____.
A) meiosis I just B) meiosis II only C) mitosis and meiosis I
D) mitosis and also meiosis II
29) i m sorry of the adhering to occurs in meiosis yet not in mitosis?
A) chromosome replication B) synapsis of chromosomes C) alignment of chromosomes in ~ the equator
D) condensation the chromosomes
30) as soon as we first see chiasmata under a microscope, we recognize that _____.
A) meiosis II has emerged B) anaphase II has arisen C) prophase ns is occurring
D) separation of homologs has occurred
For the adhering to questions, match the crucial event that meiosis with the stages detailed below.
I. Prophase i II.Metaphase I
III. Anaphase ns IV. TelophaseI
V. Prophase II VI. Metaphase II
VII. Anaphase II VIII.TelophaseII
31) Homologous chromosomes space aligned at the equator the the spindle.
A) i B) II C) IV
For the following questions, complement the an essential event that meiosis through the stages noted below.
I. Prophase ns II.Metaphase I
III. Anaphase ns IV. TelophaseI
V. Prophase II VI. Metaphase II
VII. Anaphase II VIII.TelophaseII
32) Centromeres the sister chromatids disjoin and chromatids separate.
A) III B) IV C) V
38) A details female"s number 12 chromosomes both have the blue gene and number 19 chromosomes both have actually the long gene. Together cells in her ovaries experience meiosis, her resulting eggs (ova) may have actually which that the following? A) either 2 number 12 chromosomes with blue gene or two through orange genes
B) either two number 19 chromosomes with long genes or 2 with brief genes C) either one blue or one orange gene in addition to one of two people one long or one quick gene
D) one chromosome 12 with one blue gene and one chromosome 19 v one long gene
39) If a female of this species has one chromosome 12 v a blue gene and also another chromosome 12 with an orange gene, and also has both number 19 chromosomes with quick genes, she will create which that the following egg types? A) just blue quick gene eggs
B) just orange brief gene egg C) one-half blue short and also one-half orange brief gene egg D) three-fourths blue short and also one-fourth orange brief gene eggs
40) A female with a paternal set of one orange and also one lengthy gene chromosome and also a maternal collection comprised that one blue and one brief gene chromosome is expected to produce which of the following species of eggs after meiosis? A) all eggs will have maternal types of gene combinations.
B) every eggs will have paternal varieties of gene combinations. C) half the egg will have actually maternal and half will have actually paternal combinations. D) every egg has a one-fourth chance of having either blue long, blue short, orange long, or orange quick combinations.
41) Somatic cell of roundworms have 4 individual chromosomes per cell. How countless chromosomes would certainly you suppose to find in one ovum indigenous a roundworm? A) 4 B) two
C) eight D) a diploid number
42) i beg your pardon of the adhering to can occur by the procedure of meiosis but not mitosis?
A) Haploid cell fuse to kind diploid cells. B) Haploid cell multiply into much more haploid cells. C) Diploid cells kind haploid cells.
D) A diploid cell combines with a haploid cell.
43) In meiosis, homologous chromosomes room separated during _____.
A) anaphase II B) prophase ns C) mitosis
D) anaphase I
44) What is a major difference between meiosis II and mitosis in a diploid animal?
A) Homologues align ~ above the metaphase key in meiosis II. B) sister chromatids separate in mitosis, and also homologues different in meiosis II.
C) Meiosis II wake up in a haploid cell, if mitosis wake up in diploid cells.
D) Crossover takes ar in meiosis II.
45) What is a major difference between mitosis and meiosis i in a diploid organism? A) sister chromatids separate in mitosis, while homologous pairs of chromosomes different in meiosis I. B) sister chromatids different in mitosis, if homologous pairs of chromosomes separate in meiosis II. C) DNA replication takes place prior come mitosis, yet not before meiosis I. D) only meiosis I results in daughter cells that contain identical hereditary information.
46) crossing over normally takes place throughout which the the following processes?
A) meiosis II B) meiosis i C) mitosis
D) mitosis and meiosis II
47) because that the duration of meiosis I, every chromosome _____.
A) is paired with a homologous chromosome B) is composed of 2 sister chromatids joined by a centromere
C) is composed of a solitary strand the DNA
D) is joined v its homologous pair to form a synaptonemal complex
48) Homologous pairs of chromosomes align the contrary of each other at the equator the a cell throughout _____. A) mitosis metaphase B) meiosis metaphase I
C) meiosis telophase II D) meiosis metaphase II
49) Centromeres split and also sister chromatids move to opposite poles in meiosis _____.
A) anaphase i B) telophase i C) anaphase II
D) telophase II
50) Quaking aspen can send out underground stems because that asexual reproduction. Sexual reproduction is no as common, however when the does happen, the haploid gametes have 19 chromosomes. How plenty of chromosomes room in the cell of the secret stems?
B) 10 C) 19 D) 38
51) live independence assortment that chromosomes occurs throughout _____
A) meiosis I only B) meiosis II just C) mitosis and meiosis I
D) mitosis and meiosis II
52) because that a species with a haploid variety of 23 chromosomes, how plenty of different combine of maternal and also paternal chromosomes are feasible for the gametes? A) 23 B) 46
C) around 1000 D) around 8 million
53) elevation assortment that chromosomes is a an outcome of _____. A) the random way each pair of homologous chromosomes currently up at the metaphase plate throughout meiosis ns B) the arbitrarily combinations the eggs and sperm during fertilization C) the random circulation of the sister chromatids to the 2 daughter cells throughout anaphase II
D) the diverse mix of alleles that may be uncovered within any type of given chromosome
54) when homologous chromosomes overcome over, what occurs? A) two chromatids get tangled, bring about one re-sequencing its DNA. B) two sister chromatids exchange the same pieces the DNA. C) equivalent segments of non-sister chromatids are exchanged. D) Maternal alleles are "corrected" come be favor paternal alleles and also vice versa.
55) just how is natural choice related to sexual reproduction together opposed come asexual reproduction?
A) sex-related reproduction results in many new gene combinations, few of which will result in differential reproduction. B) sex-related reproduction results in the greatest number of new mutations.
C) sex-related reproduction permits the greatest variety of offspring to be produced.
D) sexual reproduction utilizes much less energy than asexual reproduction.
56) The diploid number of a roundworm types is 4. Assuming there is no crossover, and random distinction of homologues during meiosis, how numerous different possible combinations the chromosomes can there it is in in the offspring (not including variety generated by cross over)?
A) 4 B) 8 C) 16 D) 64
57) The bulldog ant has actually a diploid number of two chromosomes. Therefore, adhering to meiosis, each daughter cabinet will have a single chromosome. Diversity in this varieties may be produced by mutations and also _____. A) crossing over
B) live independence assortment C) cross over and independent assortment D) nothing else
58) The fastest way for biology to adapt to a an altering environment entails _____.
A) mutation B) asexual reproduction C) sex-related reproduction
59) Imagine that there are twenty-five different varieties of protists life in a tide pool. Few of these varieties reproduce both sexually and also asexually, and some of them deserve to reproduce only asexually. The pool progressively becomes infested through disease-causing viruses and also bacteria. Which types are much more likely to thrive in the an altering environment?
A) the sexually reproducing types B) the asexually reproducing types C) Sexually and also asexually reproducing species are equally likely to thrive.
60) In eukaryotes, hereditary information is passed to the following generation by processes that encompass mitosis or meiosis. I beg your pardon of the explanations identifies the correct process and supports the case that heritable details is passed from one generation come another? A) during mitosis, DNA replication occurs double within the cabinet cycle come insure a full collection of chromosomes within every of the daughter cells produced.
B) Mitosis, followed by cytokinesis, to produce daughter cell that space genetically various from the parent cell, hence insuring variation within the population. C) In asexual reproduction, a solitary individual is the sole parent and also passes copies of its genes to that is offspring there is no the fusion of gametes.
D) Single-celled organisms have the right to fuse their cells, reproducing asexually v mitosis to form new cell that are not the same to the parent cell.
61) genetic variation leader to hereditary diversity in populations and is the raw product for evolution. Biological systems have actually multiple processes, such together reproduction, that influence genetic variation. They are evolutionarily conserved and shared by miscellaneous organisms.
See more: How To Replace Idler Arm On Chevy Truck, Idler Arm Removal
Which statement best represents the connection in between reproduction and also evolution? A) Plants that use sex-related reproduction room rare since this type of reproduction in tree does not add to genetic diversity. B) In order come increase genetic diversity for advancement in sexually reproducing organisms, mutations must occur in the zygote after fertilization. C) because prokaryotic biology reproduce asexually, there is no mechanism for them to include genetic diversity for evolution. D) sexual reproduction increases genetic variation because random mutations can be shuffled between organisms.